Re: [Tails-ux] Cybelle's report: July spreadsheet: users que…

Author: sajolida
To: cy63113, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Cybelle's report: July spreadsheet: users queries, demands, and issues
cy63113:
> Hi sajolida,
> Thanks again for your feedback!
>
> I'm so sorry I didn't the complete report list of issue #12!  My bad :(
> Most of the Tor's connection issues are something like this:/

Thanks for the additional info.

I was asking because there could be many reasons for Tor not starting
properly on Tails. If such reports are frequent, it would be useful to
understand which are the most common technical reasons or the most
common user misconceptions, so we can work on this first.

>     /"Can't connect to TOR/
>     /So I went through the whole installation process of Tails and now
>     have the final version running off of a 32GB usb. I can boot it
>     fine, but when I try to run TOR it says "TOR isn't ready, start
>     anyways?" When I click start anyways TOR loads up, but whether I
>     look something up on DuckDuckGo, try to connect to a surface web
>     site or an onion address, TOR times out. I don't understand why as
>     TOR can connect to anything when I'm running it on Windows, and I
>     have a wired connection, so Tails picks it up automatically saying
>     it is connected."/
>     (https://www.reddit.com/r/tails/comments/94udc7/cant_connect_to_tor/)

On this one it seems like the user can connect to the network (they say
it's wired) but Tor is not starting (or they haven't waited long enough).

It's a sign that we clearly miss feedback and debugging information when
such things happen. We have had #10491 to work on this since years but
no clear plans, calendar, or resources to work on this.

Collecting more data about these problems might be interesting as user
research before working on #10491 for real.

> Unfortunately, 3 months went flying and today is my last day as user
> advocate intern (I'm heartbroken!).  I would love to stay in close
> touch, please let me know how I can keep collaborating with Tor/Tails.

Oops, I didn't know that!

> We see in México!

I didn't know you were coming as well... See you there!

--
sajolida