[Tails-news] Tails 3.6 is out

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [Tails-news] Tails 3.6 is out
This release fixes [many security issues](https://tails.boum.org/security/Nume
rous_security_holes_in_3.5/index.en.html) and users should upgrade as soon as
possible.

# Changes

## New features

* You can now lock your screen by clicking on the ![](https://tails.boum.org/lib/network-wireless-encrypted.png) button in the system menu.

![System menu](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/introduction_to_gnome_an
d_the_tails_desktop/system.png)

    * If you set up an [?](https://tails.boum.org/ikiwiki.cgi?do=create&from=news%2Fversion_3.6&page=first_steps%2Fstartup_options%2Fadministration_password)administration password when starting Tails, you can unlock your screen with your administration password.

    * Otherwise, you can set up a password to unlock your screen when locking your screen for the first time.

![Set a password to unlock your screen](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps
/introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop/screen-locker.png)

* We improved a lot the backend of the **[Additional Software** persistence feature](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/configure/index.en.html#additional_software). Your additional software is now:

    * Installed in the background after the session starts instead of [?](https://tails.boum.org/ikiwiki.cgi?do=create&from=news%2Fversion_3.6&page=blocking_the_opening_of_the_desktop)blocking the opening of the desktop.
    * Always installed even if you are offline.
  * Install [pdf-redact-tools](https://github.com/firstlookmedia/pdf-redact-tools/blob/master/README.md), a command line tool to clean metadata and redact PDF files by converting them to PNG images.

* An error message indicating the name of the graphics card is now displayed when Tails fails to start GNOME.

## Upgrades and changes

* The **Tails documentation** launcher on the desktop now opens the documentation on our website if you are online.

* Install drivers for the [Video Acceleration API](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video%5FAcceleration%5FAPI) to improve the display of videos on many graphics cards.

* Upgrade _Electrum_ from 2.7.9 to [3.0.6](https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/3.0.x/RELEASE-NOTES).

* Upgrade _Linux_ to 4.15.0.

* Upgrade _Tor_ to 0.3.2.10.

* Upgrade _Thunderbird_ [52.6.0](https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.6.0/releasenotes/).

We also activated the _AppArmor_ profile of _Thunderbird_ from Debian to
[confine _Thunderbird_ for
security](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/application_isolation/).

* Rewrite some internal scripts from shell scripting to Python, thanks to [GoodCrypto](https://goodcrypto-private-server.sourceforge.io/).

## Fixed problems

* Remove the display of debug and error messages when starting.

![](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_3.5/logs.png)

* Fix the ISO image selection being unavailable in _Tails Installer_ in languages other than English. ([#15233](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15233))

![](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_3.5/broken-file-chooser.png)

* Fix _OpenPGP Applet_ being unresponsive when decrypting a lot of text. ([#6398](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6398))

For more details, read our [changelog](https://git-
tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog).

# Known issues

* Enigmail is unable to download OpenPGP keys for new contacts if you have the GnuPG persistence feature activated. You can still download OpenPGP keys using Passwords and Keys. ([#15395](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15395))

* This release is not reproducible, due to various python files in /usr/local having different timestamps. ([#15400](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15400))

See the list of [long-standing
issues](https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/index.en.html).

# Get Tails 3.6

* To install, follow our [installation instructions](https://tails.boum.org/install/index.en.html).

* We do not provide automatic upgrades from older Tails installations for this release, as we've hit an old bug while generating the necessary files ([#13426](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/13426)). You have to [upgrade manually](https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/index.en.html).

* [Download Tails 3.6.](https://tails.boum.org/install/download/index.en.html)

# What's coming up?

Tails 3.7 is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/) for May
8.

Have a look at our [roadmap](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/roadmap) to see
where we are heading to.

We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to
Tails](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/index.en.html)
([donating](https://tails.boum.org/donate?r=3.6) is only one of them). Come
[talk to us](https://tails.boum.org/about/contact/index.en.html#tails-dev)!