Re: [Occupyresearch] 5 years later... time to officially bur…

Author: A.M.Stapp
To: List of the shared space for distributed research occupyresearch
CC: jeffjacksonvi@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Occupyresearch] 5 years later... time to officially bury OccupyResearch
Is there a way to resurrect the group, rather just dismantle it (the online
platform at least)? I would be happy to help with such an endeavor. It is
clear many of us are still doing research on Occupy and/or occupied
research. And, as mentioned, redirecting energies and relinking up with
more active social movements--climate crises, #blacklivesmatter,
etc.--might be a great medium to do so. Just my two cents (someone who has
also been rather inactive on here, but present nonetheless).

Best,

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Jeff Jackson (C) <JJackson@???>
wrote:

> For what it' worth, I'll add a comment and a thank you from the periphery.
> I'm not quite sure how best to express the loss I'm feeling, but I'll take
> a stab at it. While I have not been involved, I have followed postings from
> pretty early on. In somewhat stale circles of foundation evaluators and
> researchers, I've referenced OccupyResearch as an an alternative approach
> to how we work, perhaps to inspire some self-critique. In more grassroots
> circles of activist colleagues in Oakland and Chile, I've referenced
> OccupyResearch as an under-the -radar group of people that have helped
> connect dots and add meaning to a network of very valuable social movements
> around the world.I was just meeting with some activists in Spain and they
> had no idea a group of researchers were working behind the scenes to add
> thought power to their movements. I regret not inserting my self actively
> in the group, but I just want to say thank you for existing and having a
> ripple effect by your mere existence. As I retire from the Foundation
> world at the end of the month, I'll make sure I keep the contact info below
> and I'll try to insert myself somehow.
>
> *Jeff Jackson*
>
> Program Officer, Organizational Effectiveness
>
> The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
> 343 Second Street, Los Altos, CA 94022
>

> Follow us: Twitter
> <https://outlook.packard.org/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=Dp-QMWhc6RsCh8WGYlOvCRF1u0tn5bDutebSo5_X6e9eeyAhn37TCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB0AHcAaQB0AHQAZQByAC4AYwBvAG0ALwBQAGEAYwBrAGEAcgBkAE8ARQA.&URL=https%3a%2f%2ftwitter.com%2fPackardOE>
> I Facebook
> <https://outlook.packard.org/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=mY0HWOcIIug3NHKUsFY55cdlHhHhc_vOeWdAHpFkshxeeyAhn37TCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB3AHcAdwAuAGYAYQBjAGUAYgBvAG8AawAuAGMAbwBtAC8AUABhAGMAawBhAHIAZABGAG8AdQBuAGQAYQB0AGkAbwBuAA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.facebook.com%2fPackardFoundation>
> I YouTube
> <https://outlook.packard.org/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=xNYcGJss5mvA26wj04tRZvD0VZkBjW92ClZ5zUP7zuFeeyAhn37TCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB3AHcAdwAuAHkAbwB1AHQAdQBiAGUALgBjAG8AbQAvAHUAcwBlAHIALwBUAGgAZQBQAGEAYwBrAGEAcgBkAEYAbwB1AG4AZABhAHQAaQBvAG4A&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fuser%2fThePackardFoundation>
> | Website
> <https://outlook.packard.org/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=u_GRva9La2qOqWY8olOXSldI2Fkq7IlO6vMObtokT5FeeyAhn37TCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBwAGEAYwBrAGEAcgBkAC4AbwByAGcALwA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.packard.org%2f>
> ------------------------------

*A. M. Stapp*
Doctoral Student Candidate/Instructor
Department of Sociology/American Indian Studies
Virginia Tech

"You must always choose the path that has heart, so as to make the best of
yourself, and perhaps so as always to, be able to laugh. The man of
knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, and even less by
thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting. The man of
knowledge chooses the path with heart and follows it."

-The Yaqui Indian