[movimenti.bicocca] Repressione accademici in Turchia

Autore: Alice M
To: Laboratorio sulla partecipazione politica e associativa del Dipartimento di Sociologia e ricerca sociale dell'Universita' degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
Oggetto: [movimenti.bicocca] Repressione accademici in Turchia
Segnalo questa iniziativa di solidarietà che è stata organizzata da alcuni
colleghi qui a COSMOS/SNS.

Di seguito i dettagli e il modo per lasciare la propria firma, massimo
entro il tardo pomeriggio di oggi.

Saluti,

Alice

---

In recent days, more than a 1,000 Turkish and Kurdish academics signed a
petition calling for an end to hostilities in a number of Kurdish cities
and a resumption of peace negotiations between the government and the PKK.
As a result, charges of "propagandizing for a terrorist organisation" and
treason have been brought against them by state prosecutors. These charges
can result in up to five years in prison.Clearly, not even a modicum of
academic freedom can be said to exist in Turkey. Freedom of expression
has been completely undermined.

This year IPSA will hold its *24th World Congress of Political Science
*Conference
in Istanbul. The organisation of a conference in a country where academics
are imprisoned for their views is highly problematic. As academics there is
little that we can do to change the multiple problems in Turkey but we can
put pressure on international academic associations so as to not legitimise
the Erdogan regime by holding conferences in Turkey until it restores
freedom of expression and ends harassment of academics and others who are
opposed to his political objectives.

Accordingly, some of us COSMOS members wish to send a letter to IPSA asking
them to clarify their position on the matter and to take a stance demanding
freedom of expression in Turkey.

We invite you to take a minute to read a quick letter we intend to send to
them and sign it, in solidarity with all the academics and journalists in
Turkey under threat.

Could anyone who wishes to sign (one does not need to be an IPSA member)
please fill in the link to this doodle poll
<http://doodle.com/poll/kcvisxhhsg78xtdv#table> with their name, title and
institutional affiliation.

We will send the letter this evening.

Kind regards

--

Alice Mattoni

Assistant Professor

Institute of Humanities and Social Sciences

Scuola Normale Superiore

www.alicemattoni.com